Saturday, October 1, 2011

Vicarious Maine Painting

I started grad school the last week of August so very reluctantly had to forgo my part in the annual autumn painting pilgrimage to Maine. I am currently engaged on a project called "Women in the Act of Painting" and perhaps to compensate for missing the Maine trip, I found that I am stepping up my inclusion of images of women painting IN MAINE! Here are a few from recent days:


"Two Girls Painting in the Woods", Robert Henri (1865 – 1929)


"Self-Portrait", Alison Hill (contemporary)



"Paintings and Cocktails", Alexandra Tyng (contemporary, of course! ;-)



"Painters on the Beach", Don Stone (contemporary)



"Sketchers in the Woods", Robert Henri (1865 – 1929)

4 comments:

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Interestingly, I just realized that all these images are set specifically on Monhegan! Those are Cathedral Woods Henri's painters are working in, and that looks like Fish Beach or Swim Beach in Don Stone's piece. Alison's studio is on Monhegan and of course, Alex is painting on Horn Hill in her self-portrait piece (for which I provided the photo!) What a lark, to be so site specific, and unintentionally too! ;->

DCA said...

Loved this post...Looks like Swim Beach to me in the Don Stone piece as the Red House looks down on that scene and I was painting it last week. I was just in Alison's studio as one of my friends bought a painting of the Red House that she had done. I went to see the painting and also saw Alison's self-portrait. So you nailed the vicarious maine painting!

Alexandra Tyng said...

I love all of these and I haven't seen most of them before! Thanks so much for posting them.

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Thanks Diana, Alex! Wish I could have been in two places at the same time: grad school AND there on Monghegan with you all!